Note From Author:

I love writing. But SUCK at grammar. So if I do something wrong just ignore it because I don't really care. If someone wants to edit my work for free then by all means have a seat and let's discuss.

11/16/11

"Something permanent to remember that time." - Cory Copeland (Interview by J. Alan England)

 I wrote this about a year ago but never got around to posting it. Life happens I guess. I have a clear vision now of what I want to accomplish with my writing and this will kick it off nicely.

This first post features a good friend of mine, Cory Copeland. We went to high school together and then moved to different States. He went to Arkansas, while I went to Georgia. We reconnected via Facebook and found we both have a strong passion for writing and other art forms. Cory is an opinionated, intelligent, talented man who has a popular blog of his own; as well as a published book and another on the way. He recently finished writing, producing and directing his debut short film. I speak for many others when I say "CORY! DON'T GO AWAY!" 


Here we discuss the permanent additions to his body temple and why he believes size and detail don't necessarily mean it's the closest piece to your heart. ENJOY!
JAE: What inspired you to get tattooed?

CC: The thought that something could be so important that you'd want it stained on your skin for eternity was somewhat romantic to me.

JAE: Beautifully said, I wish those who only see the controversy in tattoos would instead see that with all art comes the “fad followers” who may (in my opinion) not exactly feel the way most of us in the ink family do. Most of us with art on our skin are showing events, individuals and accomplishments the highest honors.  Does anything of that importance exist in your work?

CC: When my grandfather passed away, I wanted a way to honor this amazingly great man. But in a way that would describe him as much as honor him. I placed his initials on my left rib cage in this big, strong, beautiful font. The font represents him as much as the particular letters do.”

JAE:  We the inked, experience the pain and emotions that go with getting tattooed. This includes the reactions from those we love the most. What has your experience been?

CC: The ribs aren't a great choice for your first tattoo apparently since it hurt more than I thought it would. I was extremely nervous before I got it. I wasn't scared or anything but rather I was terrified the piece wasn't going to look the way I wanted or it would get messed up and then I'd be "scarred" for the rest of my life. Also, my family is deeply religious so they were fairly disappointed when they found out. But because it honored my grandpa, they couldn't be too upset. My mom actually cried when she saw that it was her dad's initials. He died the day before her birthday so it's usually even harder for her to deal with every year. I remember her initial reaction being, "Your dad isn't going to like this." But I was prepared for that.

JAE: How long from “I’m getting one" to needle on skin?   
                                                                                                           
 He passed on April 1st, 2006 and I was inked in his remembrance on June 17th, 2007.
JAE: Is the most significant piece you have your Grandpa's initials?

CC: Definitely my grandpa's initials. The second would be the one that just says "Scribe" on my right wrist. I got it after getting my first book published. It was my way of reminding myself that I was finally a real writer and always would be. I got it on my right wrist because of my being right handed.

JAE: I tend to ink myself with select accomplishments as well. Do you think Your scribe tattoo is the start of a trend? (new piece with each publish etc..)

CC:  I doubt it honestly. I mean, I hope to be published many times over and I'd like to think I'd run out of skin eventually *laugh*. I got a call yesterday from a company wanting to publish a novel I wrote last year and I can't see myself getting tatted for it. I guess you could say the "Scribe" tattoo signifies me losing my publishing virginity in a way. You can only lose it once.
JAE: How did the tattoo artist feel about it? I have a rule that if the artist acts as if this tattoo is just another routine piece, I move on. I’m not a “flash art” kind of guy. But to each his own.

CC: I don’t think he cared either way because it was such a small piece that took literally seven minutes to do. Plus, the shop was extremely busy and he was just a professional through and through. His name was Oliver from Dallas. I remember that much. He thought the idea was cool but we didn't talk much. More like a "wham, bam, thank you, ma'am" kind of thing. *laughs*
JAE: What plans do you have for another tattoo in the future?

CC:  I'd like to get the last lines of the poem "Invictus" eventually. "I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul" and yes, I loved that poem BEFORE Morgan Freeman read it on screen.

JAE: *laughs* Henley was a wonder poet. Was that a stab at Morgan?

CC: Not a shot at Mr. Freeman by any means. I've just never been one to follow the crowd and I wouldn't want anyone to think I got a tattoo because of a Clint Eastwood movie. *laughs*

JAE: Tell me about a tattoo you saw on someone else that stuck with you (good or bad):

CC: I once saw a tattoo on a guy that was a red vine with 11 red leaves and one green one. When I asked him what it meant, he quoted a scripture about how God is the vine and we are the fruits of that vine. The 11 red leaves were 11 of Jesus' disciples and the lone green one was Judas. He was set apart because of his betrayal. It was like the guy hadn't forgiven Judas for betraying God so he was calling him out in ink. It was oddly moving in a way.

JAE: I admire the guy for having the guts to not only get such a contentious piece, but openly share it’s meaning. Do you agree that Tattoo’s can be a witnessing tool given the religious controversy that still exists?

CC: Absolutely. Especially if it's elaborate enough to draw attention from someone who asks its meaning and you're able to share why God was such a great influence in your life that you wanted to have something permanent to remember that time.
END:

There you have it! I asked Cory for some pictures of his ink and will post them as soon as I can.